My practice is interdisciplinary and generative in results often with intimate sculptures and object installations. I am interested in objects that synergise intimacies with the body and yearn for completeness within absents and separation. I am motivated by the differences within my practice and how works can become questioned and altered by engagement and evoking exploratory understandings.

My research unfolds metaphysical values that converge ideas around the intent of magic on material thinking and speculative folklore. This is a continual investment of interest and development. These values are exposed, compressed and fabulised within working methodologies that collectively pull together transitionary states, and confessions of experience.




Friday 31 March 2017

Inherited Absents


Working with ceramics for over ten years has allowed me to develop a language that I consider is preserved in the layering of the making process. I work a lot of the time with repetition and the direct involvement of creating my amassments becomes an important translation to the work. I capture traces of making in the work that purposefully locks in a separation from my body through fingerprints and choreographed actions of movement. This in turn gives the objects I make an inherited yearning to the body both by distant trace and the behaviour of the symbolism presented.

Inherited Absents (2016-17) is a piece that presents a collection of numbered hand built porcelain wishbones. Each completely different and document the change in making from different sittings of creation. I intend this body of work to be ongoing and constantly renewed with the idealised destiny that each wishbone is activated between two people. Dipped in wax offers both a visual reading of the work to be more tactile, and in touch to offer a temporary feel of comfort and safety. Presented in a vintage free standing bird cage to condition the experience of looking at something kept and to be communicated with through bars of proscribed habitat. Ideas for the work extrapolate from commentary on the propaganda of climate change and how this has become a house hold terminology that is controlled by the edited agendas of the leaders of the world. I want the work to offer a very human centred involvement, a vehicle of connection and a talisman for a meaningful wish.



No comments:

Post a Comment